So, it’s Saturday. Total word count so far 7336. Yep, I’m behind, not too far, but I’m behind. I have written 306 words since Wednesday. I will be spending this weekend playing catch up. I hope to crack that 10k barrier today.
This is what I learned this week:
1. Writing a novel is not the same as reading one.
2. It’s perfectly ok to do the minimum word count suggested per day.
3. When your hands and wrist hurt, its time to take a break.
4. Food and sleep really are important. This is particularly true when you have to work, go to meetings (and take part), create budgets and write reports.
5. Dialogue writing sucks.
6. I am easily distracted when I’m stuck.
7. When I’m on a roll, I make the keyboard smoke.
8. What I’m writing is not a novel, but a very long essay…I forgot about inserting chapters!
9. I need a booster seat to use the tables on the train with the netbook.
10. I love my netbook — it is awesome.
11. I procrastinate more than I should.
12. My “inner editor” is a bitch and I wish she would STFU.
13. I am not writing the “great American novel.”
These are but a few of the things I learned this week. It really has been an interesting learning experience and one exhausting week.
With that said, I’m off to add to my word count. Thanks to my friends (and the Mr) for your support this week.
3 weeks and 42k+ words to go!